Saturday, August 9, 2008

Why I love food!


There are moments in my life when old memories come back to me. Usually they are triggered by a sound, smell, someone or something. They can be bad memories but they are usually good. More times than not if it is a good memory food or a meal is involved. I think about the first time I made pancakes with my mom.The taste of melted butter and the deep black color of her cast iron skillet.The smell of onions and peppers when my dad would make chili and we would take it to my Aunt and Uncle's house. Smoke in the air makes think of grilling chicken on the porch with my boys handing me the tongs,sauce or a pan to carry in the food. Of course the smell of smoke also makes me want to be back in North Carolina. The kids running around,the soothing rumble of the creek in the background. I remember the times in the kitchen tent cooking and visiting with my adopted family. I can remember almost every occasion that I have cooked or baked something with my Sara. She has always been my biggest fan and toughest critic. She is always brutally honest. She is probably the biggest reason that I love to cook. It has always been something we both love. Sitting around the table with the people you love and enjoying company and a good meal is probably the most relaxing, enjoyable and memory building occasion I can think of. When that meal is a great meal such as a perfectly roasted chicken, or pork that just falls to pieces and melts in your mouth, the memories are just that much better. I love food... I love sharing it even more.

5 comments:

sara jackson said...

I definately love to tell you my thoughts about your food but above all I love to eat it!! Most everything is good especially chicken wings on the grill:))))
Love you, Ryan and thanks for cooking.

Rosemary said...

Food involves all the senses. Maybe that's one of the reasons it makes it easy for it to provoke memories. My memory of pancakes and you involves batter on the griddle as well as the stove and floor and copies of your latest pancake recipe stuck to the refrigerator when you were trying to imitate the Waffle House by trial and error. Even early on your attempts at cooking were well worth the wait and mess of figuring out how to do it. We appreciate the memories you are still making.

Rosemary said...

Have mercy! Those chicken wings on the grill!!?? I suppose if you promise to keep cooking for us, we could have those again. Parker R. would certainly agree with his mom.

MJN6 said...

Most of you the memories I have of good food are of you cooking it and it being delicious. Thanks for always being the family chef. We love you and your cooking. MJN

Summer said...

Well the cheesecake, had a little accident on the way home. We saved Luke and Josh about half of it :-) We still think you should open your own restaurant! Josh and I are your 2nd biggest fans. We talk about yalls cooking all the time!!