Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a day!


"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them - that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply." This is the line from the inauguration speech that I will remember the most. While I sat an watched the events of today I heard the tired already illegitimate argument of Black people's ceiling breaking. This was one of the themes that was pushed by several media types. The theme that I felt more than any was best described by Obama's line directed at the "cynics." The ground has shifted beneath us all. The days of quiet hatred toward other races are numbered. We will probably not see it in our lifetime simply because it will take time to allow the old school " this is the way I was raised " crowd to pass on.  It will take time to see those who think it is OK to use certain words when certain people are not around pass on. I hoped that this would be the beginning of something that will be better for our country but instead I think that the ground has already shifted, some of us just need to catch up. I am anxious to see how many prayers will still be offered  on the behalf of our nation's leader now that our leader is no longer wearing cowboy boots. 

1 comment:

Luke said...

I read this the other day and I forgot to tell you the LIBERAL hell I have fallen into here. It is unbelievable!